Southsea Castle was one of the last in Henry VIII's chain of coastal fortress and is quite different from the others. The previous group had been designed by Stefan von Haschenperg who had been dismissed in 1543, a year before Southsea's construction. So instead of the "Tudor Rose" design of Castles such as Deal, St. Mawes and even nearby Calshot, Southsea Castle employed an angular bastion plan (later followed by Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight).
Shortly after its completion Henry's expenditure seemed to be vindicated when the French attacked, Henry watched from Southsea Castle and it was from here that he saw the "Mary Rose" sink to the bottom of the Solent.
The only other action seen was a brief nighttime raid during the Civil War. After which time the Castle became just one part of the intricate fortifications and garrisons around Portsmouth. The Military moved out in 1960.
The Castle is open regularly.
Back to Castles of Hampshire Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions,
Andrew J. Müller and
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller