It is appropriate in the county of bricks that the only stone medieval Castle (and the county's earliest brick building) should be made of them! The Castle was built as more of a mansion, probably by John, Lord Wenlock who died at the Battle of Tewkesbury in 1471. The original building was quadrangular, but only one range and the chapel now remain - the rest was pulled down in 1742.
One of the most surreal things at this attractive little ruin is the presence of the jets from Luton Airport (literally the other side of the fence from here!) thundering overhead periodically.
The Castle is on freely accessible land and the end of a footpath.
Back to Castles of Bedfordshire Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions,
Andrew J. Müller and
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller