
ECCLESHALL CASTLE
Staffordshire
The octagonal tower (pictured above) is the main remnant of the medieval Eccleshall Castle. The first Castle was built here around 1200 by Bishop Muschamp, Bishop of Lichfield. This was subsequently completely rebuilt by Bishop Walter de Langton around 1310. The whole style was similar to that at Caverswall Castle, but whereas Caverswall survived by being adapted into a Jacobean house, Eccleshall stayed as a Castle.
Thus when the Civil War arrived in 1643 a two month siege by Parliament ensued, after which the Castle was almost completely destroyed, leaving only a few sections of wall, the moat, the bridge across the moat and this tower.
A new house was built inside the moat in 1695 by Bishop Lloyd.
The Castle ruins are in the private grounds of the 1695 house, but are occasionally opened to the public.
Back to Castles of Staffordshire Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony
Productions, Andrew J. Müller and
Roy Barton
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2018