Bew Castle stands in the middle of nowhere north of Hadrian's Wall and must have been one of the remotest outposts in the Roman Empire when a fort was built here. The Castle which followed it must also have been something of an 'outpost' too, standing close to Scotland in the notorious "debatable lands" - the land of the Border Reivers, ruthless raiders from both sides of the Border who turned this area into a land of violence for several centuries.
Beuth's Castle, as it was first known, was supposedly built soon after the Normans arrived in 1092, but there is no mention of the Castle in records until late in the 14th Century. The Castle probably having been built by Sir John de Strivelyn who died in 1378. A gate tower being added (probably) by Richard, Duke of Gloucester (later Richard III) during his years as Edward IV's viceroy in the North.
Bew Castle was the seat of the Warden of the Western March until Tudor times when it was badly deteriorated and the seat was moved to Askerton Castle (at which point it was occupied by Thomas Carleton, one of the most notorious Reivers of his time). Bew Castle seems to have been allowed to decay from there in.
The Castle stands in the small village amongst dramatic scenery and is well worth a visit if you are venturing north of Carlisle.
Back to Castles of Cumberland Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions, Andrew J. Müller and
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller