
WHITSTABLE CASTLE
Kent
The oldest part of the Castle is believed to date from the 15th Century. In 1779 the owner was Charles Pearson who demolished the defunct copperas works building and used the materials to extend the existing manor house. He built the large octagonal tower and it is at this point that the building began to be called first Tankerton and then Whitstable Castle. His son, another Charles, made further additions in the 1820s and these are the castellated embellishments leaving us with the building we have today. Whitstable Council bought the Castle for £10,000 in 1935 and the grounds were opened as a public park in 1948.
Back to Castles of Kent Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony
Productions, Andrew J. Müller and
Roy Barton
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2019