There are two Pembridge Castles in Herefordshire, the other further north is a vague ditch. This rather handsome stone Castle was built initially by Ralph de Pembridge around 1219. This was almost certainly in stone, and the circular tower may be the "keep" of this original Castle.
Much of what we see today is the reconstruction of a Castle dating to 1260-1300. The gatehouse having been added around 1400. The Castle was owned by the Mortimers until 1387 and they most likely built the bulk of the Castle to the familiar quadrangle plan so beloved of mid 14th century Castle builders.
The Castle was maintained through the later medieval period, and as such was a prime target in the Civil War. After two weeks of siege it was captured by Parliament and was most likely slighted, although the damage may merely have been the result of the siege itself. In 1715 it was occupied by Henry Scudamore (a descendant of the Colonel who laid siege to it in the Civil War) and it was probably he who rebuilt the Castle to make it habitable.
In the 18th and 19th centuries the Castle lay unoccupied, but early in the 20th century it was once more repaired and is today occupied as a private residence.
Back to Castles of Herefordshire Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions, Andrew J. Müller and
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller