West Riding of Yorkshire
Despite its appearance, there is a genuine medieval Castle buried deep in the centre of this mostly Georgian building. It was built around 1290 by Sir William Vavasour who received licence to crenellate that year.
A small projecting wing at the rear of the house may be the remnants of a defensive flanking tower and the Castle probably huddled around a small courtyard.
Whatever the case virtually all was lost when the Castle was turned into a mansion by Sir Thomas Vavasour around 1632 and Sir Walter Vavasour around 1713, work continuing into the mid 18th century. By the time the rebuilding had finished little remained visibly medieval aside from the Chapel which predates the Castle by around four years.
For many years the Castle was owned by the Carmelite Brotherhood (see also Allington Castle, Kent), but it was recently sold and is now an hotel.
Back to Castles of the West Riding
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions, Andrew J. Müller and
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller