
GRIMSTHORPE CASTLE
Lincolnshire
Despite all appearances to the contrary Grimsthorpe Castle is quite genuine. At its heart lies a quadrangular Castle built in the late 1200s by Gilbert de Grant. His angle towers still form the corners of the Castle. These towers would have been connected by curtain walls, but these have long since vanished.
The Castle was owned by Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk who hastily erected residential ranges in the place of these walls in 1541 when Henry VIII stayed here. The three rear ranges are still basically those he erected. Sir John Vanbrugh was employed to rebuild the front in the 1720s, the two towers which dominate this frontage still conceal the medieval originals making Grimsthorpe a really odd example of an 18th century building which has swallowed up a medieval and Tudor predecessor.
The Castle grounds are open to the public during the summer months.
Back to Castles of Lincolnshire Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony
Productions, Andrew J. Müller and
Roy Barton
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2018