This fragment of Castle was built by the Keridston family either in 1341 or 1377 at both dates they received a licence to crenellate and the current ruins, with their round drum towers, would be typical from either date - although the brick material might persuade towards the latter.
The rest of the Castle, which was presumably of the courtyard variety, was demolished in the 17th century to build Claxton Hall which stands close by.
The Castle is private, but the owners are quite prepared and used to visitors; even going as far as having historical information at the ready.
Back to Castles of Norfolk Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions, Andrew J. Müller and
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller