
BRANCEPETH CASTLE
County Durham

A motte Castle was constructed here early in the 12th century by the de Bulmers, they moved out in 1176 and the Castle passed to the de Nevills. The Castle was remodelled around 1398 by Ralph de Nevill, first Earl of Westmorland. At this time the motte was probably levelled and the Castle was turned into a 'courtyard' type with a strong gatehouse. Leland in 1536 described it as having a little moat, of which there is no trace today.
In 1571 the Castle was confiscated from the 6th Earl, Charles Nevill, because of his part in the 1569 rebellion. By 1609 when it was granted to the Duke of York it was described as "decayed". During the Civil War the Castle was confiscated and may have been damaged, although nothing as exciting as a siege appears to have occurred.
When it was purchased in 1796 by William Russell, a banker from Sunderland, it was a large ruin. He undertook a vast rebuilding programme which was continued by his son. It was later sold to the 7th Viscount Boyne who employed Anthony Salvin to "re-medievalise" the Castle. By 1922 the taxes forced the 9th Viscount to sell . It remained empty and derelict until it was bought by the Durham Light Infantry in 1939, and today it is a large private home; complete with (at the time of our visit) two large doberman dogs standing guard inside the Gatehouse.
Back to Castles of County Durham Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony
Productions,
Andrew J. Müller and
Roy Barton
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2018