Beverston (often Beverstone) Castle was built initially by Maurice de Berkeley sometime before 1281. It was built without licence to crenellate, but Henry III pardoned him. Thomas, Lord Berkeley (the great re-architect of the family home at Berkeley Castle) reconstructed the Castle between 1356 and 1361. It had a quadrangular plan with a strong gatehouse (of which one tower - pictured above - still remains). Considerable chunks of this Castle remain, mixed in with later rebuilding from the late 1600s.
The Berkeleys sold the Castle in 1597 and it suffered a Roundhead siege in 1644 after which the Castle was badly slighted. One interesting story connected with the siege was the manner in which the Roundheads gained access. They captured the governor of the Castle who had sneaked out of the Castle into the village to see his mistress and forced the Castle to surrender!
The Castle is private, but good views can be had from the road and from a public footpath which encircles part of the Castle walls.
Back to Castles of Gloucestershire Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions,
Andrew J. Müller and
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller