It is believed that the first structure here was Roman. After that a church was supposedly consecrated here by St. Augustine around AD 579 and dedicated to St. Pancras.
Some remains of a Saxon period building do exist, so there could be some foundation to this story. The vast majority of what remains today, however, is very early Norman work and largely unadulterated by any later construction. The last major work appears to have been inserting the east window around 1380. In the chancel sits a bell which dates to before 1200 which blew down in a storm in 1936 it is considered one of the oldest bells in Kent.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller