This extensive building is mostly the work of the redoubtable Anthony Salvin, dating from 1862-66.
The first Castle, the pele tower (on the right in the photo), was built by the Pennington family in the mid-1300s. Sir John Pennington 'entertained' the deposed Henry VI here following the Battle of Hexham in 1464. Henry later became King once more and then was deposed once more (and probably murdered by Richard III) as the Wars of the Roses continued to wreak havoc across England.
Lord Muncaster, still a Pennington, had the modern mansion built by Salvin, who added a close replica of the medieval tower at the opposite end of the Castle (pictured left). As ever Salvin did a superb job, exhibiting the care that many of his contemporaries didn't.
The Castle, still owned by the Pennington's seven centuries after they first moved in, is open to the public during the summer and houses a superb Owl Sanctuary.
Back to Castles of Cumberland Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions, Andrew J. Müller and
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller