A Castle seems to have been built here around the 10th Century to defend the Istrian border against invasion from Hungarians. This castle was sacked by Triestines (people from Trieste) in 1353, although some remains do exist amongst the later structures.
The Patriarch of Muggia, Aquileia Marquard, built a tower in 1374 and this is the main surviving feature of the castle today. The Castle was built to keep the difficult people of Muggia under control they were pro-Venetian and took control of the town for two years from 1372. The castle was finished in 1399 but soon became redundant and was left to fall into ruin.
It was restored by the Venetian Government in 1735 but it was soon abandoned again and lay forgotten until 1991 when it was bought by a local sculptor, Villi Bossi and his wife and finally restored to decent condition.
Back to Castles of Italy
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller