FORTRESSES OF DUBROVNIK
The Minčeta Fortress is the crowning glory of the Dubrovnik City Wall system. It stands at the highest point and dominates the town from almost any angle. Whichever way you approach it is up a steep hill, and this is then followed by a spiral staircase up to the top tower which stands 200 metres or more above the level of the Pile Gate.
The first fortress here was square sided, built around 1309. After the fall of Constantinople in 1455 the fortress was remodelled, although there was a pause during a plague. Work began in earnest in 1461 with the architect Michelozzo in control. His work was continued by Juraj Dalmatinac who changed the concept into the concentric, rising tower that we are left with today.
The Minčeta Fortress has become the symbol of the City and a climb up to it's top platform is more than worth it for the staggering views of this unreasonably gorgeous town far below.
Back to Castles of Croatia
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller