This oddly structured Castle was built by Sir John de Hudleston after his licence to crenellate in 1335. It is a small rectangular enclosure Castle with residential buildings built against the walls in a manner reminiscent of Restormel's circular layout (in far-off Cornwall).
The Castle was ransacked by the Lancastrians in 1460 during the Wars of the Roses and as a result a tower was built inside the walls (occupied today as a house) making the design stranger still. In 1644 the Roundheads besieged the Castle and it was very badly damaged.
The Castle is private, but a public footpath more or less encircles the whole Castle.
Back to Castles of Cumberland Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions, Andrew J. Müller and
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller