LIDDEL STRENGTH CASTLE
This tremendously strong motte and bailey Castle stands on the banks of the River Esk and Liddel Water, which here forms the border with Scotland. It would be hard to get much closer to the Border without being midstream!
The Castle is first historically mentioned when it fell to William the Lion during his invasion of 1174. It was then owned by the de Stuteville family and never seems to have been rebuilt in stone, incredible considering its vulnerable position. Incredible also when it is considered that the wooden Castle was still in use in 1346 when Sir Walter Selby defended the Castle against David II's invasion. After a four day siege the defences were stormed and over 200 men were slaughtered.
A pele tower was built inside the earthworks about two centuries later, but little remains of this today beyond a vague indentation showing its position.
The Castle is on private land, but appointments can be made to visit.
Back to Castles of Cumberland Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions,
Andrew J. Müller and
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller