Hugh de Morville built a Castle here after 1201, but it was heavily rebuilt by Ranulf de Dacre around 1317. This Castle was of quadrangular plan, and probably looked a bit like Dacre's Naworth Castle.
The Castle was greatly expanded by Thomas Dacre around 1500, with a deep ditch being added and the residential apartments being totally remodelled. The Dacre's lost all their land after their part in the Rising of the North and Kirkoswald Castle, like Naworth, passed to the Howards.
William Howard removed part of the ceiling from Kirkoswald and it survives as the ceiling in the Howard Tower at Naworth. Around this time the Howards abandoned Kirkoswald and it descended into ruination.
Today the chief piece of masonry remaining is the stairtower (pictured) plus a few other pieces of curtain wall and Thomas Dacre's ditch.
Back to Castles of Cumberland Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions,
Andrew J. Müller and
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller