Not a Castle at all, of course, although its position suggests there could possibly have been a real Castle here once. It stands at the top of a high bank above the Ive Gill and would be quite difficult to attack.
However, no record of a real Castle exists, so we must assume that the name just sounded fashionable to H. Richmond Brougham when he had the mansion built in 1744-48. It is built of local red stone and follows a fairly typical Georgian layout.
A huge fire completely gutted the Castle in 1956 and it has stood abandoned ever since, slowly falling into more and more decay. When we visited trees were growing up inside the Castle and it was like walking around a bomb site. In once sense it would be a shame to loose this romantic ruin by rennovating it, but at the other end of the scale, how long before nature reclaims the building completely and it slides down the hill?
The Castle stands on private land, and at the time of our visit was up for sale. Whether this has now occurred we don't know.
Back to Castles of Cumberland Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions,
Andrew J. Müller and
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller