ST. SIMEONE PICCOLO
This church is one of the first things that greets a traveller to Venice by train as it stands directly across the Grand Canal from the main rail station.
It was one of the last churches built by the Republic of Venice. Scalfarotto designed it and it was constructed between 1718 and 1738 and shows a definite move from the Baroque to the Neoclassical. Although, by Venetian terms, this is a modest structure, it is still quite elegant in the usual slightly run down Venetian manner.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller