Full dedication: Cathedral and Collegiate Church of St. Saviour and
St. Mary Overie
Became a Cathedral in 1905
There was a church on this site in Saxon times. In 1106 a new church was built to St. Mary Overy - St. Mary 'Over the River' - meaning across the Thames from the City of London.
Although the Cathedral looks much more recent, a great deal of it's structure, particularly internally is still medieval, from the 13th to 16th Centuries, but adapted, altered and fiddled with over the ensuing years.
One of the most famous things inside the Cathedral is the monument to William Shakespeare whose Globe Theatre stood a short distance away (near to where the modern replica of The Globe now stands). Shakespeare knew this church well, his brother was married here and it was Shakespeare's local parish church whilst he lived in Southwark. The monument, however, only dates to 1912.
The church was 'promoted' to Cathedral status in 1905.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller