EDVIN LOACH CHURCHES
The Parish Church
The old church at Edwin Loach, now a broken ruin in the care of English Heritage, dates to around the time of the Normans arrival in Herefordshire (circa 1050). A tower was added in the 16th Century but it seems to have faded from use soon thereafter.
The deathknell for the old church was the building of the new one right inside the old Norman motte and bailey. The design was, not entirely unusually, by Sir George Gilbert Scott and work began in 1858. Once work was completed the old church fell to ruin.
The Old Saxon Church
Photos - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller