West Riding of Yorkshire
Full dedication: Cathedral Church of St. Peter
Became a Cathedral in 1919
Bradford Cathedral is one of the more modern Cathedrals in the North of England. The original parish church, of which the tower and it's immediately surround portions survives, dates from the 15th century. This was involved heavily in the Civil War and was protected from cannon balls by the application of woolpacks around the masonry. This was entirely appropriate because wool made Bradford's fortunes a couple of centuries later.
In 1919 the church was upgraded to Cathedral status. In 1962 the much larger chancel was grafted onto the 16th century church with surprising subtlety, and although obviously newer the overall result is not too jarring.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller