St. Andrew's Church in Biggleswade was founded around 1230, but of this early building very little survives. Most of the church structure is from an early English-style rebuild dating to around 1467. Inside are some brasses dating to slightly earlier (around 1449) and also a sizable monument to John Ruding, Archdeacon of Bedford who was responsible for ordering the rebuild.
It is thought a Saxon church once stood on this site, but nothing remains documented to support this fully. Samuel Pepys visited Bigglesworth (as it then was) during the 17th Century.
The whole church was Victorianised around 1830 and chapels have since been added for Calvinists, Wesleyan Methodists and Baptists which helps to ensure the church remains thriving. Mary Tealby, who founded Battersea Dogs' Home is buried in the churchyard.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller